It is hard to beat the natural beauty of wood planters, whether it's on a small condo balcony or expansive patio. A well-chosen planter in long-lasting teak or durable cedar will enhance any garden decorno matter how contemporary or sophisticated. Gone are the days of having only oak half-barrels or rough cedar boxes to chose from.
Teak planters are elegant and rich-looking, and are generally long-lasting too. Redwood cedar is commonly used for contemporary gardens because of its durability and natural resistance to rotting.
Painted wood planters can be a great way to complement the exterior of your home and create a unified garden design. Avoid stains and sealers on your planters as these are usually toxic to plants.
Plastic liners can extend the life of your wooden planters and planter boxes, or use them as 'cache pots' to hold potted plants and they will last longer. Another big advantage of wooden planters is that you ca combine features like trellises and benches for an attractive and functional unit.
How to Maintain Wooden Planters
- Treat wooden planters with non-toxic stain, paint or waterproofing agent.
- Line inside of planters that are susceptible to rot with black plastic (with holes in bottom for drainage).
- Reinforce joints of wood planters with extra rust-proof nails.
Characteristics of Wood Planters
- are available in a variety of woods and colors: cedar, redwood, teak, cypress
- provide great versatility for combining with other garden components such as seating, trellises or storage
- redwood and cedar planters can be used without painting as they are resistant to rot
- wood planters insulate plant roots from heat of the summer sun
- wooden planters fall between plastic and clay in weight and porosity
- for a longer life, line planters with plastic or set already potted plants inside
- unpainted, unlined wooden planters will rot over time
- pests often like to take up residence in planters made of wood, watch for carpenter ants and sow bugs
Buy Wood Planters Online
Boise Cedar Patio Planter
Be the envy of the neighborhood when you display tall plants or small potted trees in this large, deep cedar planter. This planter offers spacious volume, wide sills on each side, and effective drainage due to pre-drilled drainage holes. Four block feet lift the planter off the ground. Use with soil or potted plants. Fits a pot up to 17" diameter. Finished with all-weather stain. SimplyPlanters
Solid Wood Lexington Planter Box
The Solid Wood Lexington Planter Box is a traditionally styled outdoor planter you can't go wrong with. With classic slatted sides and a slatted bottom for proper drainage, this box will look great anywhere. The upright finials on each corner demonstrate quality craftsmanship as they are turned on a lathe from one solid piece of wood. All pieces are sanded to a smooth finish and painted in your choice of UV-rated exterior paints. A durable plastic liner is included for direct planting and plastic feet under each leg prevents moisture absorption. Each planter is assembled with color-matched offset bolts. SimplyPlanters
Teak Sunshine Flower Box
This beautiful garden box is crafted from solid teak grown in democratic Costa Rica. It offers a terrific value and is designed so that it does not require a liner. All hardware is stainless steel, and there are pre-drilled drainage holes in the bottom of the planter, as well as teak footings underneath that provide drainage in outdoor settings. Choose from a variety of sizes. SimplyPlanters